24-hr Counselling Service
ClubSAFE provides a crisis counselling and local referral service for our member clubs 24/7. Callers requiring face-to-face counselling are subsequently referred to a local counselling service funded by the Responsible Gambling Fund (RGF). Once in touch with a local service, a patron can receive ongoing support free-of-charge.
Additional Counselling Services
- Support for family members of problem gamblers
- Support for non-English speaking patrons
- Phone support for club management and staff
- Crisis intervention counselling (Premium only)
ClubSAFE Multi-Venue Self-Exclusion (MVSE)
As a step to taking control of gambling, ClubSAFE MVSE offers patrons the ability to self-exclude from gaming areas in clubs and pubs close to where the participant lives, works and socialises.
ClubSAFE member clubs and gambling counsellors can access this service and offer individuals the choice of self-exclusion facilitation at their local club or through their nearest Responsible Gambling Fund gambling counselling service.
Support & Training for ClubSAFE MVSE
ClubSAFE MVSE training provides venue staff with:
- knowledge, practical experience and best practice
- assistance in facilitating a self-exclusion from initial decision to completion
- updates on revocation and/or amendments to the ClubSAFE MVSE deed, 3rd party requests and breach procedures.
The training includes insights on the typical behaviours staff may come across in a self-exclusion situation and an explanation of the technical side of the online system. This training ensures that the self-exclusion is a positive experience.
Duration: 1 hour + approx. available face to face or via phone, bookings required.
ClubSAFE MVSE Revocation Advice & Assistance
If a self-excluded person wishes to exit their self-ban prior to the original stated expiry date of exclusion, ClubSAFE counsellors will conduct a professional assessment of the suitability of the client’s revocation. Unless the client’s circumstances are extenuating, ClubSAFE counsellors are unlikely to support an early exit from self-exclusion.
Policies & Procedures
ClubSAFE can assist your Club with queries relating to harm minimisation and help develop policies and procedures that satisfy the expectations of L&G NSW and your local community.
The ClubSAFE team will work with Club staff and increase their understanding of best practise guidelines and legislation, and provide recommendations on what policies and procedures need to be implemented throughout the venue.
Third Party Self-Exclusion Advice
Currently in NSW there isn’t an option for 3rd Party Exclusion within Legislation. ClubsNSW is working with government to develop a model suitable for NSW.
When Club staff are approached by a concerned family member or friend of a suspected problem gambler we recommend taking following steps:
- Refer the request to a responsible manager who can approach the family member and explain the self-exclusion procedures of the Club.
- Inform the family member that the Club has no legal right to exclude patrons on the advice of a third-party (consistent with the advice in the Liquor & Gaming NSW Responsible Conduct of Gambling Student Manual).
- Discuss the range of support options in the area including providing details of the ClubSAFE counselling service.
- Record the contact details of the family member and the interactions using the third-party approach form in the ClubSAFE Manual
- Contact the ClubSAFE Counselling Line and provide them with the relevant details.
ClubSAFE will work with family to provide additional support and assistance and on a case by case basis to determine the best course of action.
ClubSAFE will also work with the Club to assist in making an approach to the person of interest and ensure that all harm minimisation policies are adhered too.
Other Exclusion Services
ClubSAFE cooperates with all providers of self-exclusion services. The ClubSAFE team believes that for the long-term interests of problem gamblers, a single system for delivery of self-exclusion has to be an ultimate goal for all stakeholders. As the peak industry body, ClubsNSW believes its MVSE system places ClubSAFE well to deliver on this goal. Until this is achieved, ClubsNSW continues to work with alternate providers wherever practical.
Responsible Gambling & Harm Minimisation Staff Training
There are two levels to this training:
- Level 1 gives floor staff the confidence to provide excellent customer service while following their venue’s policies in responding to staff concerns about a patron.
- Level 2 assists managers in an assessment of their venue’s policies and procedures – not just in compliance with legislation but as a way to aim for best practice through a customer service lens.
Crisis Intervention Counselling
Be it an armed hold-up, the unexpected death of a staff member or patron, an assault or similar crisis, tragedy can strike at a Club when least expected. How a Club responds sends a direct message to the community about the extent of its culture of care. A swift, supportive and compassionate response reassures members, management and staff they are truly valued and cared for.
For Premium clubs, immediate phone crisis counselling is available with critical incident face-to-face counselling or group de-briefing for all staff/members affected. Standard members are guided and supported on how best to proceed when these situations arise.
ClubSAFE counsellors can be contacted by phoning 1800 99 77 66 or by emailing for assistance and support 27/4.
Have a question or interested in upgrading to ClubSAFE Premium?