ClubsNSW's approach to responsible gambling is to create safe club environments where people can make informed choices about their activities.
Through the ClubSAFE program, ClubsNSW has created and championed a series of harm minimisation initiatives:
- ClubSAFE Multi-Venue Self-Exclusion is an online tool than enables gamblers to ban themselves from the gaming area of multiple clubs and hotels in one simple application, as opposed to having to visit each venue individually.
- ClubSAFE Counselling Line for members of clubs to access should they need help with a referral or their gambling. Contact 1800 99 77 66.
ClubsNSW is working in a range of other ways to promote responsible gambling such as providing access to free counselling, improving staff training and supporting independent research into harm minimisation.
Full details are contained in the ClubsNSW Responsible Gambling Strategy 2019-21.
"ClubSAFE not only supports individuals struggling with gambling through the provision of the Self-exclusions, but also supports the Gambling help Counsellors in reaching out to those affected by gambling and promoting community education and awareness of gambling help counselling services available."
- Julie McDermott, Wagga Family Support GambleAware Counsellor
"The fact that once a self-exclusion has been processed it is instantaneous is a fantastic feature. It lets an individual seeking the self-exclusion leave with the knowledge that it is done and does not rely on the other clubs to have to process it for it to be finalised."
- Michelle Cappadona, Chatswood RSL Club
"From the time that Nathan walked into the Broken Hill School Hall until we left, there were 300 students plus teachers in that hall and they were all overwhelmed by this young man and his story. The impact that he had on so many students was amazing. I have had quite a few new clients present to the service since Nathans visit."
- Greg Pearce, Lifeline Broken Hill GambleAware Counsellor
Looking for help?
To find an experienced, confidential counsellor near you, call the NSW Government GambleAware hotline on 1800 858 858 who can connect you to a service. Alternatively, search this page using your postcode to find a local counselling service and make direct contact.